Saturday, December 22, 2007

Work Problems


On my first real day of work managed to pick up some problems with a few of the experiments. Some had been neglected for a while as Dave had been getting treatment on his leg and would be unable to do anything with them regardless. Anyway, it was a bit of a baptism of fire throughout the first month. Trying to catch up on everything that had been neglected, do some of the annual stuff that needed to be done (Dave had deliberately put-off some stuff so he could show me how to do it) and getting my first real look at a lot of the hardware I am dealing with. I know not too many people would be interested in exactly what I am working down here, so I will keep it short - Magnetic Instruments (deleting small changes and variations in the local magnetic field), Optical Instruments (looking at lot of the different weird lights that come from the sky when it is dark down here) and Radars (Lots of different types but they are all pointing upward, looking at different parts of the atmosphere. Anyway, here is a picture of one of the 33MHz meteor detection antennas that are going to be replaced this year. If you are really interested (and who wouldn't be) you can look at some of the data it produces by clicking on the "Recent Observations" link from here.

No comments: