Thursday, November 29, 2007

Boredom

Sitting on the boat can be quite boring. I have my email set-up on board now. It gets sent/recieved via a satellite link-up three times a day and we are limited to 30KBytes per message. I have actually done some work while on board the Aurora, that is how bored I was getting. Wrote some code that seemed to impress my boss, but suspect it is full of bugs as my head is still a bit groggy and I didn't really have any ability to thoroughly test it. Got an email from my boss indicating that the guy I am replacing (lets call him Dave) had slipped and badly sprained an ankle, which meant that he might not be available for field work for a while!
The ship is totally surrounded by near solid ice as far as the eye can see. Here is a (>180 degree) panorama of the ice from the side of the Aurora. It is stark, beautiful and fantastic, but a little boring after a couple of days!

No comments: